7 ways pets can heal you in times of emotional distress4 minute
Nothing can beat the joy of coming home and snuggling with your pets. No matter how hard your day was and one glimpse of your pet and all the stress starts to go away. Because we don’t need to tell our pets how we are feeling, as soon as you enter the house your pet is ready to encounter your distress. Studies say that animals have a strong sense and understanding of emotions. So you don’t need to explain to them as you explain it to your human counterpart.
They help with your mental health as well as physical health. Even if you want to just get in your pajamas and stay in your bed while sipping your coffee. Your pets take you out on walking or hiking.
I have owned pets from my childhood, ranging from dogs, cats, cows, rabbits, horses and so on. Here are 7 key findings on how they keep your mental and physical health and helps you overcome emotional distress.
- They help you overcome your loneliness- Either you are having a bad day or you are just feeling lonely in general. Your pets are always there to calm you down and cheer you up. I remember my school days when I had my first breakup and I was feeling lonely as the whole world had turned on me. I was just lying in my bed and my pets (especially dogs, cats and rabbits) would come to my bed from time to time snuggle with me and push me out of bed and show me that this is not the end there is much more to come. And believe me, they didn’t leave me for a minute until I was feeling okay.
- They help you stay in the moment- Pets’ lives are always in the moment. Like humans, they never care what happened in the past and what will happen in the future. In other words, they help you become more mindful. In the psychological term, they bring one’s attention to the present moment, i.e. Mindfulness. Pets also help distract youngsters and teenagers from what’s bothering them. And spending time with a pet helps them to learn how to be cheerful and be in the moment.
- Pets love us unconditionally- Pets love their owners unconditionally. For example, no matter how bad you did in your exams or how your athletic or social skills are. They don’t need such man made reasons to love you. They are just happy and cheerful to spend time with you. Studies say that such unconditional love is very good for mental health as it stimulates the brain to release the chemical, dopamine. Basically, it helps you sense pleasure.
- They keep your heart strong- Not to brag but this is true that they just don’t help with your stress but also with your physical health. Studies have proved that pets help you lower your cholesterol, blood pressure and triglyceride levels. Means with all this combined effect you are less prone to experience a heart attack or stroke. Even if you are recovering from such an incident then your recovery rate is much higher if you have a pet to help you recover.
- Pets provide a sense of purpose- A pet provides you with a sense of purpose and responsibility. Because when you own a pet, you are never alone and you have to look after them. Which helps you organize your daily routine and also fills you with responsibility. It helps improve your mental health problems like anxiety and depression. Taking responsibility for your pet also helps improve your social skills. Which improves your relationships with your human counterparts.
- Pets offer empathy- I remember when one of my family members died when I was very young. We were having a hard time coping with it. So if someone would start crying or having an anxiety attack. Our pets would gather around and will start distracting us with putting their paws on our feet. Or they used to come and sit in our laps and cuddle. And it really helped people from going into severe depression. So always have a pet around, you never know when you might need them.
- Pets help you make more friends- Pets are an excellent way to improve your social interactions. As an adult, it is always hard to make friends. But if you have a pet with you then it is like an icebreaker and he or she is like your wingman. Suppose you are walking with your pet and someone just stops to pet your dog or cat. And just like this, you have a common topic to ta;k about. You will get easily comfortable with other pet owners. So for even introverts, pets are like a knight in shining armor, to help you interact with strangers. Studies also show that a pet owner is more likely to know his or her neighborhood better.
So if you have a fuzzy friend already then it is time to get too close to them and appreciate them more. If you don’t own one then you can just walk to a shelter near your home and bring one this new year. As a parent, if you do not want a pet at home, then you can take your kids to shelter from time to time so that they can encounter compassion and unconditional love. So from now on whenever you will walk to your pets never forget to thank them.
Feel free to drop a comment on how your pets help you with your tough times.
10 signs that you are in a toxic relationship4 minute
Relationships are not like a fairy tale you read in a book or see it in a movie. No relationship is perfect, it has its ups and downs. But you should also be able to identify if you are in a good relationship or you are in a toxic relationship. Every relationship starts at a good point. Where there is passion, compassion, and love. But as soon as you start to go deeper in a relationship then the true color emerges of your partner and then you are in a dilemma, is it good or bad? Because this is the same man or woman I loved.
It is not necessary that a weak person only ends up in a toxic relationship. Strong and independent people also end up in a toxic relationship. And some even continue to stay in one for years just hoping that things will change. But always remember that you cannot expect mango from a guava tree. If your relationship makes you feel cared for, respected, loved and free to be yourself then you are in a good relationship. On the other hand, if your relationship makes you feel drained, neglected and left out as your self-pride is being stripped down then you are in a toxic relationship.
Here are 10 signs to show you that you are in a toxic relationship and it is time to let go
- All take no give- when you feel like you are the driving force of the relationship and your partner is not putting any effort into it. Even after pointing it out multiple times, your partner is not ready to change then it is time to let go. Because it will only drain your energy and fill your mind with negative energy.
- Controlling and excessively jealous- When your partner doesn’t let you be yourself. They are always controlling your daily life. Even the sight of you hanging out with friends or staying online till late night makes your partner furious then you need to rethink your relationship.your privacy matters and just because there is a new person in your life. That doesn’t mean that you have to let go of your old life. It is like just being in a prison. It will slowly kill the essence of your soul.
- When there is no privacy- self-love and self-care is the driving force of a soul. And every person has its own environment where he or she feels comfortable in that structure by themselves. If your partner keeps evading your privacy, going through your phone or text history, reading your social media chats. Your partner gets mad just because you liked someone’s pictures on social media. Then it is a toxic behavior. You are an adult and you don’t need 24/7 supervision.
- Constant judgment- everyone wants a person who brings out the best in them. But if your partner is always criticizing your every action in the relationship even when it is not needed. Because when you defend yourself then they get offended and try to explain that they are just trying to help. So always beware of such control freaks who play nice but in reality, they are tearing you down.
- Lack of communication- when there is too much lack of communication in a relationship. Whenever you are trying to talk on some matters and your partner just shuts you out or they become silent. Then it is a toxic relationship. Because without communication there is no relationship.
- Mutual avoidance- when you are your partner keeps avoiding each other. For example, you are eating together and you both are just pretending to be busy on your phones. so you would not need to engage in a conversation. Then your relationship needs an evaluation.
- When you are not able to say “NO”- saying ‘no’ in a relationship is a healthy practice because you cannot agree on every point your partner says. And a loving partner will respect your ‘no’ and appreciate you for it. If you are accepted in a relationship for just saying yes to everything. Then it is time for you to say NO to the relationship itself.
- When you feel very insecure- In a loving relationship, partners always appreciate each other, make each other feel loved, complementing each other. But when you are in a toxic relationship you always feel insecure around your person then it is time to let go.
- Physical or verbal abuse- if there is any kind of physical or verbal abuse in the relationship. Then you should now that it is the end of the line and it is time to break the ice. And run away from the relationship as it will bring severe mental problems.
- When there is no trust, only lies- Trust is a key factor of any relationship, if there is no trust then there is no pint of relationship. Lying just takes away the trust of the relationship. And mistrust in a relationship can turn even healthy people in toxic people. So when you feel it is enough and it cannot be reversed then it is time to break the relationship. Or it will break you.
So these are the important signs to evaluate yourself if you are in a toxic relationship.
There might be an endless reason if you end up in a toxic relationship. Love and happiness always don’t go together. There are times when you have to make sacrifices in a relationship. But if those sacrifices eat away your self-respect happiness and pride, then you are not in a healthy relationship. Because a loving relationship brings a better version of yourself. If you are with a person who makes you feel suffocated then it is time to let go. Because you deserve to feel safe and happy in a relationship.
Feel free to share your experience if you have ever been in a toxic relationship.
Best trekking guide for beginners6 minute
Trekking is the new craze among millennials. If you have ever been on a walk in the morning, you see how refreshing it is for the rest of the day. Now imagine you are walking in the exotic Himalayan mountain or mystic rain forests of Kerala, or the sensual beauty of the seven sisters in the northeast. Now you can feel how much energy boost you will get and an excellent chance to connect with nature as well as you.
So trekking is basically to go on an adventurous journey typically on foot. Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? Sometimes it is essential to get away from our hectic life, to discover a new dimension of nature. It works like magic for most of us, and it recharges and prepares you to come back to your busy lifestyle again and fight it with a whole new level of energy.
So, if you have you been planning to go on an adventure to hike to trek, Then you have come to the right place, and I am here to guide you through it and prepare you mentally for this incredible journey which you will encounter.
But first, let’s discuss the basics of trekking. You should at least know what you are getting into. So that you can choose what to try for a beginner, let me tell you what are the types of trekking so you can evaluate how much preparation you will need.
Types of trekking
Trekking is a very generic word for the type of trekking. There are three types of a trek, i.e. easy, moderate and hard one.
Easy trek- Generally an easy trek involves about a couple of days and with easy terrain. It mostly includes a stretch of 5 to 6 kilometers a day. A good example will be Ooty Katagiri, which can stretch over a weekend.
Moderate Trek- This type of trek needs a certain level of stamina as it includes some days walking in more tough terrain. You might get steep ascend as well as descend. It brings more challenges for the trekker. An excellent example for such trek is the Hampta Pass trek in the Pir Panjal range.
Hard Trek- Such treks mostly stretch for a week, and it is the most difficult one as this type of trek requires physical stamina as well as mental stamina. It involves deep valleys and high altitude (15000 feet and above). The trek to Everest Base Camp which reaches up to a height of more than 17, 500 feet is one such trek.
Preparing yourself for trekking
There most important thing which you need to prepare before going on a trek is building stamina. To prepare yourself for trekking, start walking one month before going on a trek. It will strengthen your leg muscles so you will not get cramps often. If you are a smoker, then it is time to quit smoking right away as it will be a huge help. Because when you go on a high altitude, then your lungs need to be at its prime to inhale proper oxygen. Because if you do not do so, then you will suffer from loss of breath and it will be difficult to keep up with the group, and you will become a burden on the group. I am telling this to you from my own experience, so time to say bye-bye to smoking.
These are a few things you can include in your daily life to prepare yourself.
- Walk 4 to 5 kilometers a day. And some cardio as well.
- If you go to the gym, then include some shoulder and back exercises to make them strong as you will be carrying a backpack.
- You can try skipping to train your leg as it helped me personally.
- Try breathing exercise- inhale and exhale. Minimum 10 minutes a day, it will prepare your lungs.
Things to carry while going on a trek
This is a tricky part because most people get confused about what should they carry on a trek because it is not like a typical vacation which you plan. Because you might have to carry some of the things while you are trekking(depending on your trek). So don’t worry, I am here to help you with the list of things you should carry with you.
- Good rucksack with back support.
- Tent and sleeping bags (depending on the temperature range of the place).
- Layered clothes as in the mountains temperature flux are unpredictable. So pack light as well as a heavy jacket and a raincoat. Because in mountains rainfall is a usual occurrence.
- Shoes- Invest in good trekking shoes because it will protect your foot in the harsh terrain. You wouldn’t want to have cuts or rashes on foot as it will be difficult for you to walk.
- Full track pants to protect from unnecessary scratches and insect bites.
- Water bottles- 2 liters bottle will be fine as you will need to keep hydrating yourself.
- Flashlight with extra pair of batteries.
- Camera or cell phone to capture your beautiful moments.
- You can carry a Swiss knife as it will be helpful in tricky situations.
- Sun-glass and sunscreen and a hat.
- Sanitizer, tissue paper and wet wipes ( or you will have to use tree leaves which I will strongly advise not to use from my personal experience.)especially because you need to save drinking water because you will not get a toilet up there.
- Medicines- if you have any essential medication, carry it with you. You can also keep paracetamol and cetirizine for cold or flu.
- First aid kit- If you are with a group, then they will have a first aid kit, or you can also carry some bandage and cotton. Also, bring moov or volini spray in case you will hurt yourself accidentally.
- Food- chocolate and energy bars you can carry for quick energy. You can also carry dry fruits, glucon-d and biscuits.
Some basic hacks to keep in mind
While you are on the trail, these hacks can help you manage yourself well as it has helped me so far-
- Always pack light- Always pack light as you will be carrying these things with you so organise yourself well and take only essential things. Just pack a couple of pairs of clothes and quick to dry clothes will be better.
- Distribute the loads among your fellow trekkers.
- Carry a length of sturdy rope and swiss knife as it will help you in a tricky situation.
- Carry a stick as it will help you walking and will keep you balanced.
- Always drink water in small quantities always try to keep your mouth wet. Or you might start developing shortness of breath and chest pain.
- You can also pack some packed games or a football or volleyball to enjoy your camping site.
- Do not litter- always carry plastic or carry bag with you and keep your garbage in it because the ecosystem up there is very delicate, and it is our responsibility to keep it clean. Because we will be responsible if the next generation will not be able to see the beauty we are experiencing.
- And some extra cash as it will help you in need.
- Always ask questions to your local guide feel. Proceed ahead only if you are satisfied and clear. It will help you understand the demography and culture in that area. Always keep an open mind, never judge.
- Always avoid any clashes with the locals as you will have a disadvantage in their area. My experience says people are friendly but keep in mind if something happens.
So keep these things in mind, and I believe that you will come back with a rich and loads of lifetime of memories. As a beginner, choose an easy trek to start. Ask many questions to your guide. My last advice will that do not think of it as a race grasp the nature and enjoy it. Sometimes just sit and stare at those valleys. Take it slow and steady, and nature will embrace you with open arms and will take you in a trance. Happy trekking.
Tips to grow a Positive Attitude5 minute
“The more you feed your mind with positive thoughts, the more you can attract great things into your life.”
― Roy Bennett
Positivity is something that we all should inculcate in our daily lives that keeps us going through the day. Smile more, worry less, more love, less hate are all the things that one will feel when he/she learns to develop a positive attitude within themselves. In a busy world like today, the idea of having a positive attitude is not considered important because many of us consider it not important and hence, it is left completely neglected. There are many things to follow for a positive attitude to build up and develop, the process is gradual but the results are amazing.
Here are a few tips on how to maintain a positive attitude:
- A Positive Morning-
We all love our beds so much that mornings have never been our best friend, Mornings are an important part of the day and it is very essential to start the day on a positive note. Early morning routines should be something that you should enjoy doing, something you would love to do like going out for a walk, making breakfast or a long hot shower. This way mornings become a relaxed therapy and there is no hurry to start the day, this gets us pumped for the day and having a good and positive morning leads to having a positive day ahead.
Practicing meditation in our day to day life has a lot of benefits, meditating helps us to think clearly and maintain a calm composure even when in crisis. Most of us perceive meditation as something that is related to yoga, but not many of us know that meditation has a lot of benefits that help us get through hurdles in our everyday life. It gives us clarity, focus and of course a lot of positivity.
Today’s generation is so busy in their 9-5 jobs that they completely forget about their physical health. Why is physical health important for having a positive attitude? Let me tell you why, exercising and maintain your body is as important as it is to take care of your mental health. When we exercise, we boost our physical and mental energy in relieving stress, energizing your mood and also has a positive impact on your cognitive skills. Therefore, exercising has an impact on us directly or indirectly in some form and keep us pumped throughout.
- Laugh more-
We don’t laugh because we’re happy, we are happy because we laugh. - WILLIAM JAMES.
They say laughter is the best medicine and it indeed is, being humorous or having humorous conversations lifts up your mood instantly in any situation. Many times, we tend to crack lame jokes to make serious issues or topics to be taken in a very light hearted manner. Laughing and embracing humour is very important as it helps you deal with many obstacles from your everyday life which can be as simple as a grammatical error and as big as a messed-up project or presentation. Laughing at times can get us into serious trouble sometimes, nevertheless people who laugh more cope up easily in from a crisis as their mind remains calm and composed throughout, whilst they come up with a positive solution for the problem. Laughter is very contagious, hence keep spreading smiles!
- Have a Hobby-
Sometimes, work or college can be very hectic and totally exhausting and that is why it is important that we all should have at least one hobby or thing that we want to do in our free time. As the saying goes, An empty mind is a devil’s mind, keeping ourselves free leads to negative thoughts creeping into our mind and the unnecessary thoughts taking control over us, which is why we should keep ourselves busy by doing something that we love, by doing something that not only teaches us about the thing we are interested in but also the learning and fun that goes into it. This way we learn to love ourselves even more.
- Learn to Accept Rejection-
When we succeed in something, it gives us immense pleasure and we celebrate but at the same time when we attain a failure, many people just cannot accept it and sometimes end up taking harsh steps. Learning to accept rejection is very necessary, because we only teach people to win and succeed but do not teach them to accept failures the same way in which they accept success. Rejection brings in a lot of negative emotions and going through it with a positive attitude will give you a positive outlook in life whenever you fail. Turning your failures into lessons is another positive attitude that one can develop because rejection is nothing more than a necessary step in the pursuit of success.
- Talk positively about yourself-
We all are different and unique in our own ways, and there is no one perfect in this world because everyone is flawed. The words that we use have a lot more power than we think. How you talk about yourself is how you will turn out to be. We often degrade and put ourselves down, we tend to make ourselves look and feel perfect but that is far from reality and accepting ourselves the way we are is important, not for anyone else but for us, for our own body. Always stay positive, talk positive and Glo positive!
- Have a little Me-Time-
We all forget how consuming our everyday routines can get and how it has a toll on us, not only mentally but even physically. Amidst all our hectic schedules, having a little me-time and self-care is a must. Most of us are so busy in our jobs, working non-stop, meeting deadlines, interacting with people and what not… becomes a very tiring process right? This is when you take some time out for yourself and pamper yourself. It can be a hot long bath with scented candles with slow music, pampering sessions, cooking for yourself, going out for movies or just staying home and sleeping. All the people out there, cut yourself some slack and go get some me-time for yourselves.
- Maintain a Gratitude Journal-
There are a lot of things that we do in a day, some can be bad and some can be good. A Gratitude journal is maintained to write down all the positive and happy things that happened to you in a day. We obviously cannot forget the negative ones, but making mistakes is a way of life and everyone learns from their mistakes, similarly the main aim of having a gratitude journal is to include all the positive and small little things that gave you happiness. A gratitude journal helps you in to remain positive because you mostly tend to ignore the things that effect you and only focus on the things that bring you happiness and a good vibe. So, to all the people out their thinking about how bad your day was, stop thinking and start writing.
- Surround yourself with positivity –
Last but not the least, is surrounding yourself with a positive environment that consists of a lot of positive people. There is no point of just you having a positive attitude whereas your surrounding is filled with negative vibes, we should be around people who themselves have a positive attitude and believe in spreading it to everyone, not only will your perceptions about things change but how you think and talk about everything will gradually turn positive , Nothing makes us happier than spreading smiles and wearing one too!
Everyone has their own ways of being positive, these are a few from our side. Tell us more about how you maintain a positive attitude right below in the comments section.
GLADYATOR: Meet the twins making a mark in the sustainable fashion field.3 minute
In a time where Climate change is being debated upon, there is a company which takes the most used thing, and makes it safe for the environment, your clothes. Coral Doe was started in 2018 by Aqsa and Tuba Sajjad to make comfortable clothing that is sustainable and ethical. They intend to be 100% sustainable by the end of 2023 and are working well towards it.
The company and the team intends to go a step beyond and create awareness among its users about the need of the hour, sustainable fashion.
We spoke to Aqsa, Coral Doe’s co-founder, and here is her take on being an Entrepreneur and her aspirations.
- Please tell us what being a business owner means to you and why you became an entrepreneur in the first place?
For me, it's about getting to do something I love every single day. It may sound cliche but as a person who suffered from depression, anxiety, and mental health issues, it was very important to my well being to have a reason to wake up and work hard every single day. Coral Doe has brought meaning to my life and has given me something to work for.
Plus, the thought of working for someone else's dream has always been suffocating. It only made sense to become an entrepreneur.
- What or who has been your greatest influence in business and why?
Gary Vee. He's a huge motivation and encourages you to focus on all aspects of your life: professional, personal, and all others.
- What would you say is your greatest professional accomplishment to date?
Growing my business to 2000+ customers in under a year has been the most rewarding experience. Sometimes, I truly can't believe we did this.
- What’s the best advice you have received in business that you wish to pass on to our readers?
I read somewhere: These 5AMs will make you a legend one day.
This has stuck with me since the day I read it. But it's important to take it with a grain of salt. Sometimes, hard work and waking up at 5AM isn't the way to go about it. Sometimes, you have to work smart rather than hard. Also, another good advice is to keep at it and to try to sustain your business in every way if it's something you love. But also to know when to quit. Not all businesses are sustainable and the world isn't ready for every idea yet.
- What has been the most effective marketing initiatives or programs you have used to promote your business?
Word of mouth is always the best way to market your brand. Instagram content and ads have also been great for us.
- What one thing have you learned as a small business owner that has served you well.
Every sale and every customer matters, as a small business owner. It's always lovely to see customers going out of their way to support, review, and comment.
- Are there any resources or tools you’d like to share with other small business owners that have helped you run your business? If yes, please describe.
Gary Vee's videos are a brilliant resource.
Any tool that'll keep your finances organized is important. Invest in a good accounting software. Finances are everything.
- Have you faced any failures? How did you overcome that failure and what did you learn from it?
Everyone faces failure. You either learn from it or you go backwards.
- What do you do for fun/relaxation?
I go to the gym and I read a lot of books. When you have your own business, it's hard to draw boundaries with work. Work never stops. It's always important to force yourself to take a break from work.
- What is the Number One Business Goal you plan to accomplish over the next year?
Expanding into new markets.
Learning more and more business literature.
Diving deeper into sustainable manufacturing and trying to move other brands towards it too.
- If you were to give an advice to a 16 year old you, what would you say?
Find a supportive circle of friends. Invest in people and friendships. It'll go a long way in life.
- How can I be a good leader?
Put your team first. And lead with compassion.
- The last question, what keeps you up at night?
The thought that maybe I should be doing more and working harder (Not a healthy thought at all. I always have to remind myself to give myself credit)
How to be a successful intern6 minute
Internships are like a trial period for an employee that a company runs to understand what that person does and to assess what more he or she can offer to the company. For freshers who are just out of college, or for women who are returning from a break in their career or people who are undergoing a shift in their career, normally have to go through this. This probation period is the period where the company judges whether you are cut out for that role and that company or not. On the other hand, for the intern, it’s the best way to figure out whether he/she really wants that role.
But, trust me. Internships are not easy and are tedious since you have a lot to do and a lot of people to prove to. Here are some of my tips to ace your internship:
- Blend well with your coworkers:
The most important part of an internship or even a job is to develop relationships. Meet your coworkers and start mingling. You will eventually blend into the office culture and understand how the office works. You will also find yourself in a pickle every now and then and you may need to know which coworker to work with to get the help you require. Blending in is the most important part of your career. You will need to work with people of different genders, different personalities, different profiles, etc. while respecting them at the same time and people skills is the most important feature that workplaces require, right now.
Organize your day-to-day work requisites. Plan out each day accordingly to meet immediate requirements. The defining factor of an intern comes from the way he or she prioritizes what has to be done right now and what can be done later on. Also, the intern’s reliability is one thing that is defined over time, so you have to make sure you convey properly what you can do and what you cannot do.
- Learn from your peers:
Watch and learn from your peers. Active learning is the make or break of an intern’s career. If you are really interested in the field you are interning for, you should know what are the actual requirements for the job. You should research and learn those fields and be implementative. In case you don’t know how or what to even study, then the best and fastest way to grow is learning from your peers. Ask them all kinds of stupid questions. Ask them what to learn and how to learn. Ask them if they could mentor you and help you at times you are feeling some sort of difficulty. Watch them how they do the job and learn the professional skills required. Don’t feel shy or don’t feel embarrassed when you mess up. After all, you are an intern and you are here to learn. If they expected you to be that perfect, you would be an employee and not an intern.
Many, many interns are not professional, mainly because they are totally new into the field. And, that’s fine. But if you do not develop any professionalism by the end of your internship, regardless of how perfect you are in terms of your work quality or your knowledge base, they will not convert you to full time. Work ethics is something that needs to be picked up and worked on simultaneously. So please try to take it slow by being a little passive until you pick up on some professionalism and work culture.
You can’t be idle just because you finished your job. Key element for an intern and one of the judging factors to convert an intern to a full time employee is “How productive he/she is?”
In the world of corporate culture, or any work culture as a matter of fact is, productivity comes hand-in-hand with how much work you did. But, the judging factor comes with how much work can you actually do based on your skill sets and talent. Once your done with the task at hand, reach out to your team members and understand where you can help them in case they need help. Constantly deliver your thoughts and ideas to your team members. This acts as you being proactive and also shows your leadership skills to lead and motivate the team.
- Organize your day:
Organize your work. I cannot stress enough on this. Without the ability to prioritize your work and work accordingly, you can never reach the fullest potential that you have or showcase your true quality. Try different approaches on how to organize your tasks at hand. You can have a daily tasks list for that or if you have a team working with you and there is no organizational structure, go a step ahead and try to set up an agile system by making use of Kanban or scrum. Set sprints and reach the targets effectively.
- Time management skills:
Like mentioned before, prioritize what do you exactly want to do right now. Many times, you may get yourself involved in work that is not of immediate necessity while there is a pile of work that needs immediate attention. Work effectively and prioritize correctly.
- Project management skills:
Sometimes, you will find yourself receiving a lot of work and most of the times it is more than what you can handle. As an intern, it is okay to feel overwhelmed and you can always question if they are pushing work that is beyond the scope of your responsibilities. But, if there are times where you have to handle many projects at once, you need to keep track of what’s happening in each project. So, my suggestion would be to jot down everything. Document everything that requires attention from your supervisors. This shows what work you are doing, how much have you accomplished and how much are still pending. Work accordingly to reach your targets.
- Go out for a coffee with your peers:
Well, of course, this is just another bonding methodology. But the twist here is, they are outside the office. Get to know them on a personal level, their dreams and share everything you have to offer. This is a grand gesture that acts as the extra mile. It shows that you are a people’s person and you are interested beyond just the work limitations. This is a great bonding experience.
- Showcase your work and skills:
Remember when I told you to jot down everything that you do? Those tasks that you have completed, those tasks that you have picked up and are working on, all of these have to be converted into Key Performance Indicators and Objectives and Key Results for the team. They should align with the company’s vision. This shows to what extent are you harmonically working with the team and how you are keen on learning more and reflects how much more that you can offer.
Now these are just the tip of the iceberg. There are many more factors that affect your role in the internship. It might be something as simple as work culture, or mentorship, etc. But, if you follow these, it will definitely show that you are serious about your work and all the things that you can offer you are real. The HR department will definitely love you!
Being 8 Months Pregnant Didn’t Stop This SHERO From Delivering COVID-19 Test Kits To The Nation2 minute
In the battle against coronavirus, India has been criticised time and again for a poor record of testing people. Amidst all of this, there is change set to be brought about, a large part of which is accredited to the one and only virologist - Minal Dakhave Bhosale.
Ms Bhosale headed the team that designed the coronavirus testing kit (called Patho Detect) in India and is also the R&D chief of Mylabs discovery, Pune. She had just been informed of a pregnancy complication in february, right after which despite personal circumstances, willingly took on the assignment of designing the coronavirus test kits.
Up until now, India had to import COVID-19 kits from Germany at Rs.4500 per kit, but the molecular diagnostic company has been successful in creating a kit that is now able to test 100 samples and costs Rs 1,200 - literally a quarter of the cost of COVID-19 testing kits that were being imported.
Besides being relatively much lower than kits imported from outside, the team also achieved COVID-19 testing in just two and a half hours compared to other tests that took no less than 6-7 hours.
What is most fascinating about her story is that Ms Bhosale managed to complete her assignment on time and while being 8 months pregnant, only a couple of hours before she delivered her baby daughter.
In the words of Ms Bhosale (to BCC) : “ It was an emergency, so I took this on as a challenge. I have to serve my nation”. A true inspiration to women across the world and a real team player - a thousand salutes to the women who put her nation first in the most critical of situations.
Minal Dakhave Bhosale- A real life hero, A SHERO, as one may say.