7 things to consider before choosing a career3 minute
Whether you're about to finish schooling and enter a college or you're just going to graduate, it’s frustrating to not be able to foresee what's next. Because with a new year comes a whole lot of responsibilities that get piled on your shoulders. You are not alone in this, everyone at some point goes through this confusion. So if you don’t know where to begin, take a deep breath and go through these 7 key points and by the end of the article, I promise you will have at least some clarity about the getting started with a new journey.
7 tips for choosing a career
- Know your interests- You need to understand what excites in life. What activities you enjoy in your personal time, because your happiness also matters. Working like a robot will never give you happiness and satisfaction in your life. So ask yourself these questions.
- Do you like working with people or animals?
- Do you like working alone or with team members?
- What are the hobbies that you enjoy?
- Are those hobbies marketable?
2. Know your skills- You should know that different jobs need different kinds of skill sets. So take some time to think about it and note down every skill you have. Go through them and assess what can be marketable. Analyze what kind of soft or hard skills you possess. For example, some of you might like programming. Some might tend towards fine arts. So evaluate what you are good at and what makes you happy.
3. Set your goals- Setting a proper goal is never a bad idea because then you have something to work towards. Try to determine what you want from your career.
- How much money do you want to make?
- Do you want to help people or do you want to travel?
- Where do you want to live, what are the things you want to buy in the future (if any)?
Because if your long term goal is not compatible with your career then you might need to reconsider. Self-satisfaction and happiness are also important you might feel disappointed later on.
4. What education and training to take- Different kinds of careers need different education and training. Suppose you want to be a doctor or an engineer, then you have to take your training according to your choice. Suppose you want to pursue a career in arts, then you don’t need to take up engineering just as backup. Because you will be wasting your money and time. So choose accordingly. Make your decision and stick to it.
5.Social environment and happiness- Happiness is the most important aspect when it comes to what you want to do. Because if you are not happy with what you do, you will always feel drained in life and it will impact the different aspects of your life.
You also need to consider what type of environment you want to work in. Some people are introverts and they might prefer a desk job. If you are an extrovert then you might consider working in a team, where you will have exposure to a lot of people and abundant opportunities to interact with them.
6. Always do your research- Every career has its own preparation. You will need to consider what type of resources you have. Do you have reliable source for the amount of money you will need over a period of time? Will you be able to put your effort into it and come out as a champion?
Always do research before getting into the field because it might be different from what you had initially imagined. A better way is to talk to people who are already in that field. You can consider doing an internship in the same field so you have a proper idea of what you are getting into.
7. Always be prepared for change- Always keep in mind that things can always change. You should be ready to accept change. Suppose the field you are choosing as your career does not have the same requirement in 10 years, then what? Because these days there is no job security and stability for many fields. But no need to panic, it is never too late to start and there are millions of new opportunities arising every day and I believe you will be able to find where you belong.
Once you have decided what to pursue, it is time for you to put effort into it. If you put your heart and dedicate yourself to it, then you will most definitely thrive in your career.
20 Ideas To Celebrate Random Acts Of Kindness Day 20204 minute
How is that a day such as Valentine’s is glorified to an extent that the biggest hollywood celebrities engage in it so very eagerly but a day that is dedicated solely for the purpose of making the least bit difference and giving back to society barely makes it to the holiday calendar?
Random Act of Kindness week starts on the 17th of february every year and gives you 7 sweet days to do something nice (for a friend, for the society or even for the environment) in a way that not just creates an impact, but multiplies your effort by driving people to do nice, be kind often and remember that deeds are superior if performed for the collective good of people.
20 of the SIMPLEST Ideas to celebrate Random Act Of Kindness Week:
- Compliment a Stranger. A simple “Woah, cool sweater!” could literally make someone’s day, and you would lose nothing.
- Cook for someone who feeds you everyday (Ideally your mom/dad or cook). Every great cook is so used to feeding other people’s bellies everyday and deserves to be pampered with food too- the smile on this person’s face when you cook them a meal will make your day along with theirs.
- Lend a friend one of your favorite reads. It’s a great way of saying “Here’s a piece of me, thanks for existing” - without actually having to say it.
- Write a review. What are the 10 best places to get some kickass biryani? Or which are the most pet-friendly places to visit in your city? Any knowledge is great knowledge - get it up on the gram, or you know, on Glo. I’m sure you’ll at least help one person decide on his next outing.
- Call a lonely relative and attempt to make them laugh.
- Donate Blood- thousands out there need blood. If you don’t know where to begin, look up https://scoophub.in/top-10-best-blood-donation-organizations-in-india/.
- Repost your friend/following’s businesses to spread the word. If they get one extra follower because of you, you’ve succeeded.
- Pick up litter that you didn’t throw out.
- Spend a day at an old age home. Been there, done this and the joy on their faces will bring you happiness that’s truly unmatched.
- Send colouring books to children at an orphanage/ sick children at the hospital. Dunzo it (use a local delivery service) if you can't physically go there.
- Take initiative to make breakfast and get your whole family together on the dining table. Make it a whole event. Indulging in family time is a wonderful act of kindness.
12. Leave your waiter a generous tip.
13. Help a neighbour/friend clean their room. Or backyard.
14. Use your savings to fund a child’s education for a whole academic year. You’ll be surprised to know that it’s quite the pocket-friendly deed.
Click to know just how easy it is: https://bit.ly/37BfaCw
15. Get a haircut. Donate your hair after: Way to turn an act of kindness into a cute makeover!
16. Be kind to the environment. Walk/Cycle/Carpool to work instead of taking a cab or an auto
17. Make a kindness pledge/list- one that is flexible and can be practiced at least once every week.
18. Pay for a co-worker’s lunch.
19. Do something kind for yourself. Read a book. Watch an old favorite movie. Eat healthy, gut-friendly foods. Write a letter to your future self. Take a leap you’ve been meaning to.
20. Let people know of the day. Celebrate Kindness.
Super Bowl 2020: Extremity In The Name Of Culture?2 minute
After a great game of an outstanding comeback by Kansas City Chiefs (Vs San Francisco 49ers) in Super Bowl LIV, the crowd seemed to be inclined towards debating a rather isolated issue than the game itself: Was the halftime performance by Hollywood’s beloved superstars Shakira and Jennifer Lopez obscene?
The two set the stage on fire and how! (Although, this might seem to have contradicted the opinion of the majority)
What the audience found and I quote “terribly disturbing”:
The broadcast featured the two stars in costumes showcasing their buttocks, pole dancing and grabbing their crotch multiple times on stage- all interpreted as ruthless objectification of women by two of the most influential women in the world.
A famous reporter of the Golf Channel even went ahead and tweeted: “Stop dancing on a stripper pole on the biggest stage and then complain about how often we get sexualised.. The hypocrisy of wanting to not be seen as sex symbols but then wearing outfits and choosing overtly sexual choreography has me very confused”
An audience full of young parents on the other hand had their own issues with regard to how something like THE Super Bowl, an event supposedly aired for all age groups to enjoy could have a performance such as this as if it were the 'new normal’.
The halftime show featuring Shakira and Jennifer Lopez seemed to garner more buzz than the game itself. (What!?) At some point, little children were showcased in cages- all seen as a political statement about President Trump’s immigration policy - but the whole pole dancing and stimulated sex gestures were viewed as most offensive.
Prolife advocate Abby Johnson tweeted, “On the day of the highest rate of sex trafficking, the NFL says, ‘Hey, let’s have two women dance half naked and get a bunch of zoomed in crotch shots of them. That’s female empowerment!’ Do they have no clue that they just contributed to the commodification of women?” Even though a lot of folks said they loved the energy and called the two Latina’s performances “historic”, the popular opinion seems to have been this: misrepresentation of an entire culture on one of the biggest stages airing worldwide.
The performance might have not appeared to be “family friendly” to a few but did it deserve a statement as harsh as “This exhibition was Pepsi showing young girls that sexual exploitation of women is OK”?