How To Decide What Career Is Right For You3 minute
Whether you're about to finish schooling and enter a college or you're just going to graduate, it’s frustrating to not be able to foresee what's next. Because with a new year comes a whole lot of responsibilities that get piled on your shoulders. You are not alone in this, everyone at some point goes through this confusion. So if you don’t know where to begin, take a deep breath and go through these 7 key points and by the end of the article, I promise you will have at least some clarity about the getting started with a new journey.
7 tips for choosing a career
- Know your interests- You need to understand what excites in life. What activities you enjoy in your personal time, because your happiness also matters. Working like a robot will never give you happiness and satisfaction in your life. So ask yourself these questions.
- Do you like working with people or animals?
- Do you like working alone or with team members?
- What are the hobbies that you enjoy?
- Are those hobbies marketable?
2. Know your skills- You should know that different jobs need different kinds of skill sets. So take some time to think about it and note down every skill you have. Go through them and assess what can be marketable. Analyze what kind of soft or hard skills you possess. For example, some of you might like programming. Some might tend towards fine arts. So evaluate what you are good at and what makes you happy.
3. Set your goals- Setting a proper goal is never a bad idea because then you have something to work towards. Try to determine what you want from your career.
- How much money do you want to make?
- Do you want to help people or do you want to travel?
- Where do you want to live, what are the things you want to buy in the future (if any)?
Because if your long term goal is not compatible with your career then you might need to reconsider. Self-satisfaction and happiness are also important you might feel disappointed later on.
4. What education and training to take- Different kinds of careers need different education and training. Suppose you want to be a doctor or an engineer, then you have to take your training according to your choice. Suppose you want to pursue a career in arts, then you don’t need to take up engineering just as backup. Because you will be wasting your money and time. So choose accordingly. Make your decision and stick to it.
5.Social environment and happiness- Happiness is the most important aspect when it comes to what you want to do. Because if you are not happy with what you do, you will always feel drained in life and it will impact the different aspects of your life.
You also need to consider what type of environment you want to work in. Some people are introverts and they might prefer a desk job. If you are an extrovert then you might consider working in a team, where you will have exposure to a lot of people and abundant opportunities to interact with them.
6. Always do your research- Every career has its own preparation. You will need to consider what type of resources you have. Do you have reliable source for the amount of money you will need over a period of time? Will you be able to put your effort into it and come out as a champion?
Always do research before getting into the field because it might be different from what you had initially imagined. A better way is to talk to people who are already in that field. You can consider doing an internship in the same field so you have a proper idea of what you are getting into.
7. Always be prepared for change- Always keep in mind that things can always change. You should be ready to accept change. Suppose the field you are choosing as your career does not have the same requirement in 10 years, then what? Because these days there is no job security and stability for many fields. But no need to panic, it is never too late to start and there are millions of new opportunities arising every day and I believe you will be able to find where you belong.
Once you have decided what to pursue, it is time for you to put effort into it. If you put your heart and dedicate yourself to it, then you will most definitely thrive in your career.
The Bois Locker Room: An Instagram Chat Or A Wake-up Call?3 minute
If you’re not already aware of what this case is all about, a group of young boys in Delhi on a private Instagram chat (screenshots of which were shared around later) called “Bois Locker Room” were seen objectifying, degrading, rating, demeaning young girls, sharing their pictures (some of this girls were only 14-15 years old) and even threatening to rape or kill them in case they got exposed.
Screenshots of this group chat were shared across social media platforms - predominantly Instagram and Twitter, after which the school authorities of these students (the 20+ boys) requested the Delhi police to investigate the incident.
The Delhi police have so far found that some students of leading South Delhi schools created the Instagram group in the last week of March and started adding their friends. “A few members are in college. Some of the teens allegedly started sharing photos posted by schoolgirls on their Instagram accounts, and passing sexually explicit comments,” an officer said, adding that the purported chats also included threats of sexual violence.
DCP Anyesh Roy told The Indian Express, “After we came to know, we registered an FIR under Sections 465 (forgery), 471 (using as genuine a forged document or electronic record), 469 (forgery for purpose of harming reputation), 509 (word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman) and Sections 67 (publishing or transmitting obscene material in electronic form) and 67A (publishing or transmitting of material containing sexually explicit act in electronic form) of the IT Act.
The case is still under investigation. But..
All the right things that could’ve gone wrong:
First off, the boys on the group chat threatened some of the girls to rape, kill, and humiliate them if they dared to share any of this information with anyone. But the girls, being well-educated (and smart) enough to know that no such thing could actually take place if a complaint was lodged, went ahead to expose them anyways. But you see, things like this happen EVERY DAY and young girls are often a) either too ignorant to pay attention and brush off these issues as “minor” or b) scared of the empty threats that honestly have no real follow-throughs.
Second, the school authorities specifically requested the police to investigate the incident. Now again, this may not have happened in many other cases. A lot of times, any kind of vulgar behaviour, especially in schools and colleges in India, is looked upon as high risk to the reputations of these institutions so they prefer to sweep it all under a carpet.
And third, social shaming. In cases like these, we bless the speed of the internet. Social media fastens the process of information spreading, and it is necessary for people to acknowledge this pro of social media platforms. But more often than not, a lot of serious issues may be lost under all that is glitter and jolly good, unicorns and rainbows - But this piece of incident DIDN’T. Imagine the number of people that want to have a voice to socially bring shame to their oppressors, but are unsuccessful. At least this one caught the eye - and the punishment of being recognized as a “so and so” in case of this incident will stick with the boys for a lifetime.
Now, the case is under investigation, and a judgment has not yet been made. But it’s clear to the general audience that since some of the girls (whose pictures had been shared on the group chat) were underage, this is child porn. So not only are what these boys doing morally incorrect, but also illegal under IP section 292, 293.
We hope for the best outcomes.
What Is Herd Immunity? Everything You Need To Know2 minute
Picture a herd or community of healthy people. An infectious virus or disease would pass easily through the community from person to person. Vaccines train our immune system to protect us from diseases it hasn’t come in contact with before. For example, the MMR vaccine provides immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella. During an outbreak of a disease, vaccinated people will remain healthy. As they won't become infected, they won't pass on the disease. Hence, if most of the community is vaccinated, it makes it difficult for the disease to actually spread to the rest of the community. This is the basis of herd immunity.
If most people in the community are not vaccinated, herd immunity can break down, allowing the disease to spread more easily.
Herd immunity becomes especially important for the individuals in a herd who can't be vaccinated. These could be people who are either too old, too young or have weaker immune systems
Herd Immunity without Vaccination: Another way the building of herd immunity could happen is if many people contract the disease and in time build up an immune response to it (natural immunity). In this case, the herd would have to be fit enough to contract the disease, survive it and then become immune towards it.
It is important to note that in order for herd immunity to take action, the disease/virus must be categorized as a Contagious one. (capable of spreading)
COVID-19 and Herd Immunity In India
Renowned Immunologist and Cell Biologist Dipyaman Ganguly has said that one of the only hopes in defeating the novel coronavirus is by developing ‘herd immunity,’
In an interview with news9, he said, “This coronavirus is not going anywhere. Viruses don’t go anywhere. They may become weak but its strand remains. The virus will keep infecting people until a large population develops immunity against it.”
He has also stated that immunity could only be achieved through a vaccine or by getting infected by the virus. “Since developing a vaccine for COVID-19 is not an easy task and it is unlikely that we will get one soon, the only hope that remains is that of herd immunity and it is bound to happen.”
Explaining the idea of herd immunity further, he said, “The virus is going to infect a large number of populations in India. When a large number of people get infected, their bodies will develop natural immunity. They will stop the virus from spreading further by breaking the chain of infections transmitted from one person to another.” “Since I am closely monitoring the situation, I am sure that we are moving towards herd immunity,” he added.
Studying infection trends in India, he said that most coronavirus cases will be asymptomatic. Patients will recover through natural immunity and vitamin boosting medication suggested by doctors. However, those with existing health conditions could develop severe complications as the virus is shown to aggravate symptoms.