What you must know about safe sex.4 minute
In Indian society, the woman doesn’t have control over sex-related decisions expect few. Men always tend to have control over this situation. This results in different types of sexual problems for women. I would like to convey it to them that it is totally right to take control of your sexual life and you have every right to make the decision for yourself. It is time for you to make your priorities clear. You do not need to surrender for the pleasure of men. You need to prioritize your needs and ask for the same from your partners.
It is time for men also to understand the importance of it and should respect the woman’s decision in sexual acts. Very few men consider the pleasure of their partners, rest just think about them and forget how a woman feels about it. Either you are already having sex or you are thinking about having sex for the first time. I am here to provide you with a few tips on how you can have safe sex.
As a woman, being prepared and ready for safe sex is very wise and healthy. It is good to prevent the spreading of sexually transmitted infections(STIs), such as gonorrhea, syphilis, or HIV. This was you and your partner both can be disease-free. By using birth control pills you can also avoid unwanted pregnancies.
Keep the following tips in the mind while having sex and you will be avoiding a lot of troubles.
- Are you ready for sex- Sex is a big change in your life. It changes your relationships too. Having sex changes the way you feel about you and how your partner feels about you. So there is nothing wrong to wait when you are ready. You can politely decline if you don’t want to have sex. If you feel comfortable with your partner and you trust him then you can engage in sexual intercourse.
- Communication is key- Talking with your partners about sex is always healthy. Be honest about past sexual experiences and your preferences. Never go beyond your comfort zone because later you will be the one feeling bad about yourself. For example, if you are not comfortable performing oral sex then no need to do it just because your partner demands it. If you are not comfortable doing it then both of you will end up disappointed. So better you sit down with your partner and discuss your comfort and discomfort.
- Always use protection- The best way to avoid pregnancy and lower the risk of any STI is to use protection every time you have a sexual encounter. There are male and female condoms available in the market. As for the Indian market male condoms are easily available. So always ask your partner to use one. There is nothing wrong with keeping a stock of condoms even if you are a woman. Because sometimes asking a man using condoms hits their ego. But you stand your ground because you will be the one bearing the unwanted pregnancy. If you or your partner are allergic to latex condoms and polyurethane condoms are also available. So better safe than sorry.
- Practice safe oral and anal sex- one of the common mistake people make when it comes to safe sex is, they think only penis and vaginal sex needs protection. But if you are doing anything at all sexual then you need to take proper precautions. For oral sex always use a condom to avoid an STI. Male condom reduces the risk of any STIs during anal sex. Even if you are monogamous and you are comfortable with your partner but still use protection every time.
- Be careful of the vaginal products- Don’t rush into using any vaginal wash. These products can wash away the healthy bacteria which prevents infections. So using such products regularly makes you prone to STIs. Use proper lubricants while having sex. Because condoms may tear up if you both are not properly lubricated. Lubricants also prevent any type of skin tearing during sex.
- Always clean sex toys- sometimes when you and your partner want to spice things up in your relationship then you can use sex toys too. It will not get you pregnant but it is capable of spreading STIs. Always clean sex toys and sterilize them. Read the instructions on the packet properly because different kind of materials needs different kinds of cleaning.
Just in the name of pleasure don’t go on putting anything in your vagina. If your partner suggests doing so politely refuse it. Always try to put a condom on sex toys this way you can keep it clean it better. Keep separate toys for vaginal and anal pleasure separately.
- What to do in case of unsafe sex- sometimes during sex the condom might tear up or if you have sex without a condom then no need to panic. You can use the emergency contraceptive pill within 24 hours and avoid pregnancy. It can be used up to 96 hours after sex but effects minimize with time. At any sexual health clinic, you can get an STI examination by a nurse.
- The best sex is safe sex- In Indian society, the sex has always been a taboo. Bringing this topic with your partner often becomes uncomfortable. But it is important to have a discussion about it. Because it will keep you both healthy.
Always keep these in mind
- If you are ever forced to have sex then reject it. It is never okay to have forced sex. Always try to talk about it with an adult you trust.
- Never use too much alcohol and drugs during sex, it will compromise your decision making and you might end up doing something you will regret later.
PS- The above-discussed tips also apply to LGBT couples, so always keep these in check. You can find LGBT friendly clinics near you via LGBT support helplines and groups in your city.
I hope the above-discussed tips will help you have a healthy and safe sexual encounter. If you feel that if some tips are left out feel free to drop it in the comment section.
8 Ways to stay positive and motivated during this pandemic3 minute
If you are like me, you are probably experiencing more stress that usual. Work is different, the Wi-Fi is acting up, and your social life has come to a halt. Stability and predictability are two words that we are unable to resonate with anymore. After a certain point, all of this can get to you. Fear can make you feel powerless. While you cannot control your feelings, thoughts and the Wi-Fi, you definitely can shift your attention towards the things you can control and help restore your sense of confidence.
Make a list of things that you think are in your control (They could be uneventful or extraordinary) and work on them, every single day. I would like to share with you, my list:
- Start a virtual book/movie club: Start your own book club on WhatsApp. Add all the bibliophiles on your contact list. Or if you’re a movie buff, create a group to watch and discuss movies.
- Enhance your skills: Work on advancing your skill! It could be something as mundane as taking up an excel course or something fun like baking. Try to complete at least two online courses this quarantine!
- Work out: You probably saw this coming. But one cannot stress how important it is to work out especially during uncertain times like these, when your anxiety is at its peak and your thoughts don’t let you sleep. Learn new home workouts every day and let the endorphins and serotonin flow into your body.
- Interact (virtually) with your long lost friends and family: Life can get really busy and to be honest it has been. Until now. And we are unable to cope with all the time we have. Talk to all those people you lost touch with and wished you hadn’t (This does not include you ex. DO NOT TEXT THEM!).
- Learn a new make-up routine: I personally feel like, the time I spend wearing make-up is all for me. It is the time I have chosen for myself. It could take you fifty minutes or fifteen minutes. That is YOUR time, you are looking in the mirror and focusing on yourself. So create a new look and wear some mascara because, why not?
- Write a blog on Glo Community: You probably did not see this one coming. But really, put all your thoughts (happy or sad) into words, not only will it help you learn a lot about yourself, but also help you gain awareness of your reality. You will be helping contribute to the WHO Covid-19 fund!
- Limit your news intake: While it is good to be informed at all times, the amount of information can be a double edged sword. So be aware, but also learn to disconnect.
- Do your bit: Last but not the least, everybody reading this is probably doing their part by washing hands regularly and staying home unless absolutely necessary. Every small effort is going to add up and will have a huge impact.
Do not lose hope. Stay positive, stay motivated and please be safe. We are all in this together. 😊
Being 8 Months Pregnant Didn’t Stop This SHERO From Delivering COVID-19 Test Kits To The Nation2 minute
In the battle against coronavirus, India has been criticised time and again for a poor record of testing people. Amidst all of this, there is change set to be brought about, a large part of which is accredited to the one and only virologist - Minal Dakhave Bhosale.
Ms Bhosale headed the team that designed the coronavirus testing kit (called Patho Detect) in India and is also the R&D chief of Mylabs discovery, Pune. She had just been informed of a pregnancy complication in february, right after which despite personal circumstances, willingly took on the assignment of designing the coronavirus test kits.
Up until now, India had to import COVID-19 kits from Germany at Rs.4500 per kit, but the molecular diagnostic company has been successful in creating a kit that is now able to test 100 samples and costs Rs 1,200 - literally a quarter of the cost of COVID-19 testing kits that were being imported.
Besides being relatively much lower than kits imported from outside, the team also achieved COVID-19 testing in just two and a half hours compared to other tests that took no less than 6-7 hours.
What is most fascinating about her story is that Ms Bhosale managed to complete her assignment on time and while being 8 months pregnant, only a couple of hours before she delivered her baby daughter.
In the words of Ms Bhosale (to BCC) : “ It was an emergency, so I took this on as a challenge. I have to serve my nation”. A true inspiration to women across the world and a real team player - a thousand salutes to the women who put her nation first in the most critical of situations.
Minal Dakhave Bhosale- A real life hero, A SHERO, as one may say.